Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Maaaan, I want a Hungry Man!

Sunday night I agreed to work from 7pm-11pm for one of my coworkers...she had to be somewhere with her daughter, so she couldn't come in til 11. I was trying my best to get out of work right at 11, because I really needed to go to Walmart after work. Alyson is not only recovering from a cold, but is also in the beginning stages of teething, so I hadn't made it out earlier that day.

Anyway... so you know how when you REALLY need to get out of work on time, it never happens? That was the case. One of my patients who had come in with high blood pressure had a spike in her pressure AGAIN, like 200's/100's, so we had to send her to CCU around 10:45pm or so in order to be put on an IV med that we don't do out on our floor.

Needless to say, I got behind in my work and didn't get out of work til about 11:45pm. I debated whether or not to go to Walmart, but decided that I DEFINITELY had to, whether I liked it or not, or we'd be eating ketchup sandwiches and drinking water for a few days. (My SUV went into the shop to get the heater fixed (it either blows full blast or nothing at all), so I was going to have no mode of transportation as of Monday morning.)

While it's definitely nice to shop in Walmart when not many people are there, midnight must be when all the weirdos come out. Suddenly that song, "The freaks come out at night, the freaks come out at niiiiiight" was stuck in my head. I only passed about 10 other shoppers the whole time I was there, but they were a shady bunch. The first couple I saw had to be either drunk or high. They looked about 18 or so. I was debating between corn or broccoli, while they were debating which Hungry Man frozen dinner they wanted. "Maaaaaaaaaaaaan.... that f***in looks good," the guy said. To which the girl replied, "Yeah.... I f***in' want a Hungry Man." It took everything in me not to laugh as I walked away. So then I go in the next aisle, and they come in the opposite direction. I grabbed a loaf of italian bread and saw them stop and look at a display of discounted bread, while the guy says, "Yeeeeeah...let's get a loaf of breeead. Heh."

So then I saw about 2 other couples walking around half drunk looking... they must not have wanted their dates to end and figured walmart was the only place open, so why not walk around all night?

The one that took the cake was this girl that I had noticed just walking around, acting like she didn't even know what planet she was on. I had half my cart unloaded up at the checkout, and noticed her get in line behind me, then felt like I was being stared at. I looked up and she was just staring and WOULD NOT STOP! By this time of night, I was ready to say, "What?! Is there a problem? Are you upset that I have more than 2 items and this is the only checkout aisle open? WHAT?!" It didn't help that she was standing thisclose to my cart...I thought she wanted to get in it. (sigh)

So then once I had paid for my stuff, I was debating my exit strategy. I don't ever shop that late at night, so all I could think about were all those stories about people being grabbed in parking lots. I was sure that someone was going to be hiding on the other side of my car waiting to jump out and grab me. Or that the drunk couple was gonna be sitting next to my car eating Hungry Man's and bread. I was all ready to push the car alarm button on my keychain....lol. So I pretty much just threw everything in the trunk and hauled ass out of there. By the time I got home it was about 12:45am and I was dead tired. I thought, "Hmm... will it be ok to just leave all the groceries out til morning? I don't feel like putting them away. Chicken will be ok sitting out until 9, right?!" (Yes, I put them away....reluctantly.)

Needless to say, I don't think I will be shopping at Walmart at midnight anymore. Maybe 11pm at the latest....:-P

1 comments:

goodtwin said...

Isn't it silly how we can scare the crap out of ourselves sometimes? Glad everything worked out for you.