Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Movin' on up....upstairs, that is.

I just got done watching The Biggest Loser on tv... I am SO addicted to that show--I LOVE IT! I always get so motivated to work out while I watch that show... I'll be sitting here on the couch thinking, "Man... after this is over, I am going to go downstairs and get on the treadmill, or put an exercise DVD in." The show ends....and I sit here on the couch and check my email, too tired to do much else.

It's crazy though... the people on that show are losing 10 and 20-some pounds a week at times! I didn't think that was humanly possible. But of course they're doing some mad working out too. I get happy if I lose a pound in a week.... 2 pounds and I wanna throw a party. But 10 or 20 pounds?! It'd only take me a few weeks to get to my goal. HA! Yeah...wouldn't THAT be nice if all we had to do was diet for a few weeks and then be done with it.

Anyhow... I'm just sitting here bored (see above---I should be working out though.) and figured I'd hop online and post real quick. I just took Alyson upstairs to bed a little while ago, so I have ME TIME! Yes, my baby is now sleeping upstairs. 3 nights in a row now, she's been in her own bedroom in her crib. It's a miracle. I've tried to get her up there for awhile now. I've tried to take her upstairs every now and then during the past few months....I'd wait til she was either all the way asleep or reeeeeeeeally tired, then I'd put her in her crib. It was like a lightswitch went on as soon as she touched the crib...her eyes opened and she started crying like crazy. She'd fall asleep for about a half hour, then cry. Fall asleep, cry. The cycle continued for a few hours until I got so fed up and brought her downstairs to sleep....where she fell asleep right away and slept soundly the rest of the night. Grr.

It just started getting REALLY annoying, being asked, "Is she sleeping in her crib yet?", and when I'd say, "No, not yet", they looked at me like I had two heads or something. Since when is there a timeline on this stuff?? Could I help it that my child would not sleep in her crib whatsoever?!

See, when Alyson was first born, we had her in a bassinet next to our bed. It was a bassinet we borrowed from our friends. THANK GOODNESS, because if we hadn't had to return it due to that friend having another baby, Alyson would probably still be in it, stuffed like a sausage with no room to move because her mother wanted her within sight 24-7. LOL. Russ kept telling me, "You need to put her in her room." And I told him, "I will when we have to give the bassinet back." Then came the questions from people, "Is she still in the bassinet?"

So then came the time to give the bassinet back...so Aly moved out to the living room to the oh-so-comfy pack n play, just so her mommy could get over the initial freaking-out stage due to having her baby out of her sight. This was supposed to be a temporary thing, "Just to know she'll be alright, and so I can still hear her," I'd tell people.(Duh Betsy, that's what BABY MONITORS ARE FOR!) But anyway.

To make a long story short, the questions have graduated from, "Is she still in your bedroom?" to "Is she still out in the living room?" to "She's not still in the pack and play is she?" to "Is she in her crib YET?" I feel like saying, "No, we just lay a blanket out on the kitchen floor and put her out there now."

Grr. It just annoys me sometimes. I'm a first time parent and I'm SO SORRY if it's a little scary having my little baby all the way upstairs while my bedroom is downstairs. If her room was on the same floor of the house as ours, she would have been in it a looooooooong time ago. People just don't understand that, ya know? I had to make it a gradual process. I'm just now, on night #3, getting used to the idea that my child will be perfectly fine even without me occasionally perched over her while she sleeps, making sure she's breathing!

I do, however, have my video monitor about 1 foot from me on the endtable!

Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm not alone in feeling a little anxious about this whole 'sleeping arrangement' issue! I just feel like I'm being a nervous nelly. Must just be a first time parent thing.

Well, I'm off to make up Aly's bottles for tomorrow.. then I'm gonna sit and stare at the video monitor. Kidding ;-)

Nighty night!

3 comments:

Destination Beautiful said...

Hi! It was good to catch up with you. The pics you posted a two posts back were great. Alyson is getting so big! You know I have no advice to give, but I don know I would probably feel the same way you do!
I love the biggest loser too! It's not on here yet, but hopeuflly we'll get it a little later.

LCP said...

You are fine, all moms go through different things, and all babies adjust to things at different times. As long as she isn't 5 and still sleeping in the pack and play I think you are fine!! Yeah for day #3, shoot for 5 and then 7....

Theresa said...

Hi!!! I'm so glad to see you back posting :) I missed you! It sounds like things are busy for you and I'm so glad to see things are going well, you look and sound incredibly happy! I don't have any advice about the "crib" issue...but I'm sure you're not alone. And I can understand witht he whole "floor" issue. Have a good week :)