Monday, August 27, 2007

Pittsburgh, here we come... or maybe not...

Sooo.... did everyone have a good weekend?

Was Monday as wonderful as ever? (sense the sarcasm there...)

My weekend wasn't bad. Saturday I just relaxed. I really didn't have any other option since I didn't feel that well, so I just kinda lounged around the house like a bum. I was hoping I'd feel better by Sunday though, because Russ and I had made plans to go to Pittsburgh. Thankfully I felt better by then!

Saturday night, Russ told me, "You know hun, we're gonna have to leave the house early in order to have enough time to spend there before coming back home." (We were going there in the boat to meet up with some friends.) By "early", I figured he meant 8, maybe 9am... but no. He wanted to be out of the house by 6:30am. 6:30! Aaaah! I am SO not a morning person!

This wouldn't have been SO bad, except for the fact that, like I said, I wasn't feeling so hot Saturday. My stomach was just majorly upset and I was, uh, "tossing my cookies" throughout the day. (And NO, I am NOT pregnant again...lol... I know some of you were just thinking that!) I just ate something that wasn't so agreeable to my stomach.

Anyway... as I was saying. I didn't feel well Saturday, which led to me staying up late-- as in 2am on Sunday late. I had set my alarm for 5:30am so I could 'wake up' a bit and then grab a quick shower. Lemme tell ya... when I finally fell asleep, it didn't seem like I slept but an hour, and my alarm was going off. I SO did not want to wake up. I think I remember saying a few choice words to the alarm clock, as I covered up my head with my pillow. The only thing that kept me awake was the fact that my husband (who had gotten, like, 8 hours of sleep...) kept pushing and poking me, saying "Honey... hey honey... hun... HUN! Get up! Wake up! We gotta be out of here at 6:30." To which I replied "Hmmmph... mrrrhfpp... mmmmm.... I don't wanna goooooooooo.....don't want to get up....sooooo tiiiiiiiiiiiired......" (This led to more poking and pushing from my husband...)

FINALLY, I drug my tired butt out of bed and made my way out in the kitchen to get a drink. Still rubbing my eyes, I look up to see one of the pillows from our couch sitting on the floor in front of the kitchen door. (We usually leave the door open since we have a doggy door in it, so the dogs are free to go in and out during the night.)

I picked up the pillow and immediately went in the living room to inspect the couches and do a pillow count. (The dogs have a very extensive history of pillow-chewing.) First of all, let me say that NORMALLY we have 3 pillows on each couch. But when I did the pillow count, there was a total of ONE pillow on both couches combined, plus the one I had just picked up. Already cranky and SO not in the mood for anything like that, I shouted "Those @$$holes! All the pillows were there 3 hours ago when I went to bed!!" I hear my husband say, "What? What happened?" and I told him, shouting some more expletives on my way out the kitchen door. I found one pillow on the deck right before the steps, and one on the steps. (Thankfully both in one piece.) THe other two were goners... out in the yard torn into a gazillion pieces. The pillows are stuffed with that poly-fill type stuffing, so it looked like it had snowed out in the backyard. Russ had a wonderful time picking it all up shortly after, and the dogs got a nice butt-whooping out of it.

So that started out Sunday morning with a bang.

Russ's mom came over around 7am to watch the baby, and we left the house about 7:15am. Once I had gotten a shower and was awake for awhile, I must say that I was actually looking forward to our little day trip.

We went through a nearby Lock and Dam (which was actually pretty neat, I must say!) then had another 20 miles to go before we had to go through the next lock. Russ called ahead to the next one to let them know we were on our way (makes the process a WHOLE lot quicker that way, if they can get the lock ready), and when they answered us, they said the lock was SHUT DOWN for repairs, and that it could either be a few hours or an all-day thing. Barges were tied up all over the place waiting to get through, so we knew it was going to be a long time before it'd be our turn. So there went our trip to Pittsburgh... we couldn't go any further down the river.

It still ended up being a nice day though... we anchored near a marina somewhere in PA (don't know WHERE we were though...)and just relaxed for a few hours, ate some lunch, and drank a few beers in the process. It was nice just to spend time alone with my husband, not having any distractions! Here are some pictures...

My hubby :-)



I was just trying to uh, take a picture of the scenery. Yeah, that's it...


View from the boat. I was trying to pretend the water was turquoise and we were surrounded by palm trees, but it didn't work...lol. Oh well, it was still a beautiful day!


Another shot of Russ...


Pulling up the anchor (which he had some trouble with because it was dug pretty deep! We thought we were gonna have to cut the rope and leave the anchor there!)


Me!


We got back to the marina in the early afternoon, and then some of Russ's buddies came down to hang out for awhile. After that, Russ and I had dinner with my parents. All in all, it was a great day, but I was never so happy to get home and GO TO BED!

So now we're planning another attempt at a trip to Pittsburgh, probably within the next few weeks. A bunch of people want to go, so it'll be nice to make a day out of it and just hang out, have a few drinks and RELAX! Not many more weeks of boating left, so we gotta enjoy it while we can. Next year it'll be nice since Aly will be older and we'll be able to take her with us :-)

Well, that's all for now. Have a great Tuesday!

4 comments:

Kristen Miller said...

Hey girl!
I'm sorry you weren't feeling well and didn't get much sleep this weekend. I can't believe your pups totally went to town on your pillows. That's not a fun thing to wake up too!

I'm glad you and Russ had a good time out on the boat and were able to spend some time together. Cute pics! :)

P.S. Thanks for the info on the music. I may attempt it when I get some free time. ;)

Amy said...

The dog story is pretty funny! Glad to hear you had a good time, and I am not a morning person either but my job has me getting up at 4 adn 5 in the morning which really sucks - so I feel your pain!!

Jenny said...

Gotta love dogs, don't cha? My pooch loves stuffed animals although so far she has left the baby toys alone!

Looks like you guys had a fantastic time and the weather was nice!

Heather said...

Glad you're feeling better! It sounds like you two had a great weekend!